A pavlova is a Russian meringue-based desert named after famed ballerina, Anna Pavlova. I replaced the fake red food coloring with real red beets. Beets make a perfect natural red dye, but also add a rich texture and flavor to the soft center of the pavlova. We roasted the beets, grated them, and added them to our meringue which was then topped with chocolate gelato to compliment the crunchy sweetness of the pavlova. This Valentine’s Day treat is finished it off with Chantilly Cream laced with vanilla. It’s delightful!
It can be helpful when serving a large group to scoop the ice cream ahead of time and place it in the freezer. If you do not use all the Pavlovas at once they can keep for several days in an air tight container. If they get a bit soft, crisp them in an oven at 350º before serving.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt, Kosher
- 2 cups sugar, confectioners
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups walnuts, lightly toasted
- 3 Tablespoons beets, roasted and grated
- 1 pint dark chocolate gelato or ice cream
- 1 Pint fresh whipped cream (see below)
- Dark chocolate pieces or chocolate chips
- confectioners sugar for dusting
For Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Place the egg whites and salt in a large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Mix on high, gradually adding the sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Add the vanilla, walnuts and beets. The mixture will deflate slightly with the addition of the beets.
- Scoop the mixture ⅓ cup at a time onto a Silpat or parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Make a small indentation on the top of each mound with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm to the touch.
- MAKE WHIPPED CREAM HERE
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- To serve, scoop 2 oz. of gelato or ice cream onto the center of each Pavlova.
- Garnish with 2 oz. of whipped cream, chocolate chunks and a dusting of confectioners sugar.
- Using a wire whisk or an electric mixer, beat until peaks form of your desired stiffness.
- Serve with any dessert, fresh berries or fresh brewed coffee.