Layer Salad usually makes its appearance in the Summer at a pot luck or BBQ. It traditionally has peas, cheddar cheese, bacon and ranch dressing or mayo, but you can make this salad with any ingredients you have on hand. I decided to challenge myself and invent my own layer salad. I used romaine, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers, cremini mushrooms, zucchini, corn, carrots, scallions, sprouts and fried prosciutto with a Lemon Basil Vinaigrette.
The 10-Layer Salad looks lovely as pictured in a glass bowl, but I’ll be honest. I didn’t have a large enough glass bowl to do the honors. When it was time to toss it with the dressing, I put it in a separate, large, wooden bowl and gently poured the lemon basil vinaigrette over it.
- 2 hearts of romaine, julienned
- 2 cups tomatoes, ripe, cherry, halved
- 1 ea. red bell pepper, julienned
- 8 oz. Cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 ea. zucchini, medium, julienned or sliced into spaghetti on a mandolin or a spiralizer
- 4 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed from cob, blanched in salted, boiling water and shocked in ice cold water and drained.
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced on the bias, blanched in salted boiling water, shocked in ice cold water and drained.
- 1 bunch scallions, white and greens thinly sliced
- 1½ cup sprouts (we suggest sunflower or radish)
- 8 oz Prosciutto, thinly sliced and julienned, sautéed in olive oil until crisp.
- Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- Layer above ingredients into a large glass bowl, one at a time. Start at the sides of the bowl first to create an outer ring and then add remaining ingredients in the center.
- Cover and store until ready to serve, and toss with a lemon basil vinaigrette.